Kids Cooking Series, Part 1 - Vegetables
Hands-on Class for Junior Chefs
Vegetable Pot Pies
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
6 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 small russet potato, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup whole milk
½ cup frozen baby green peas
1 sheet store-bought pie dough
1 egg yolk, mixed with 2 teaspoons water
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the fennel, onion and carrot; cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and potatoes; continue cooking until nicely browned, about 6 or 7 minutes more.
- Sprinkle the flour over vegetables; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the stock and milk; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat; stir in peas. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with pie dough; trim excess dough from around the edges.
- Brush top with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Italian Vegetable Soup with Cheese Tortellini
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ pound bulk sausage
3 green onions, sliced
1 small stalk of celery, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 to 4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, with juice
½ cup small white beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen cheese tortellini
1 tablespoon minced basil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring a soup pot to medium low-heat and add the oil.
- Cook the sausage, breaking up with a spoon, until browned.
- Add the onions, celery and zucchini; cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the stock, tomatoes and white beans; bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the tortellini; cook until tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Season with basil, salt and pepper.
Stir-fried Chicken with Snow Peas
½ cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Sriracha
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 tablespoon peanut oil
4 ounces thinly sliced chicken
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup snow peas
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
Link to More Information
- Stir together the stock, sambal, soy, sugar, vinegar, sesame oil and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Bring a skillet to medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Cook the chicken until nicely browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Remove from pan.
- Stir in the snow peas and carrots; cook, stirring, until crisp tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add reserved sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook just until thickened, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in reserved chicken; cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve.