MAIN COURSE, SIDE DISHES
Vegetable Pot Pie
Kids Cooking Series, Part 1 - Vegetables
Vegetable Pot Pies
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
6 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 small russet potato, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup whole milk
½ cup frozen baby green peas
1 sheet store-bought pie dough
1 egg yolk, mixed with 2 teaspoons water
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the fennel, onion and carrot; cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and potatoes; continue cooking until nicely browned, about 6 or 7 minutes more.
- Sprinkle the flour over vegetables; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the stock and milk; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat; stir in peas. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with pie dough; trim excess dough from around the edges.
- Brush top with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.